Freelance for a year
8th of March made a year since I went freelance.
The best thing I’ve done career wise, quit my regular job and 2 freelance jobs. I couldn’t take the shit anymore, I don’t think people would actually believe the tales I could tell haha. Now I’m pretty happy.
I haven’t done anything super big yet but the amount of improvement I’d this entire year makes me so so happy. I could have not done this if it wasn’t for my fiancee, he also went freelance but his clients are somewhat more steady and teaming up we make it every month with no problem =). We bought a house, don’t have any debt, I pay all my bills, I don’t have much extra expenses or that much money to spend extra but I consider myself successful at this point.
It was hard at first. It always is I guess. I was stressed for years for different reasons besides working reasons. I kept a positive attitude even at my lowest points.
I don’t think I could go back working steady on my country on something drawing related, I would much rather do carpentry anything really (well not customer service xD). I can’t say I’ll never work here, because i do get some freelance jobs, but I’m working hard in not having to go steady and I’m doing pretty well so far. The environment here for artists is small and toxic, I never had much support nor seek for it, I’m my own shoulder ^^
I don’t usually go this personal but I thought this might help someone. If you have that horrible job, you’re getting abused, DON’T STAND IT! It’s not worth your time, I’d so many crappy jobs you’ve no idea, and the most horrible ones involved drawing if you can believe that. You can do much better, if you’re working in something you like but the job sucks, you’ll do much better if you get another job unrelated to your career choice and make time to improve your skills. I know the economy is shitty on some countries right now, but do everything you need to do, move city or even country, whatever you need to do to take care of yourself. You think you can endure what’s thrown at you, maybe you can, but you don’t have to and certainly don’t deserve it, there’s always a better choice.
I sadly lost some time and I wasn’t graced with a good circumstances, I’m happy I can see that in the past now. I wish people realized that with a better position the just need to push little less to make it to a point they can feel satisfied and if they have the shittiest position you just have to keep being that fighter you’re and keep priorities straight.
I’m not popular or successful in art, but I like what I do and I’ve a good real life overall and I’ve health too, success for me is that, maybe a kid or two in some years, I want to make games with my friends and comics, wanna learn a lot, sculpt and make dolls and draw more sketch cards.
I just wanted to say something about this, since I think the internet is in lack of good things, it’s mostly people whining or complaining about trivial things and we sometimes forget what’s actually important.
I can say I’m in content, and I hope you’re or will be too ^^
66 Notes/ Hide
- kinasaurs said: Something to aspire to. :) Congrats on your one year!
- knuckletrain-to-fistplanet likes this
- skriy likes this
- yzus-illus likes this
- mai-ty said: I hope you celebrated with cake!!!
- artgantuan likes this
- zelmarr said: That’s amazing! Congrats on the year of freelance! I am an artist as well, And I am in a similar situation. I want to go freelance but I’m not sure how honestly. I do some commissions but it’s not enough I know. Reading this put me in a good mood.
- zelmarr likes this
- crimsonwing19 likes this
- kairi-h likes this
- rainbutterfly likes this
- ziitaur likes this
- mooncalfe likes this
- aisoexcited likes this
- xillmatix likes this
- loveteacupkisses likes this
- chrisdomz reblogged this from gunkiss and added:
- opheliona said: Youre so inspirational!
- opheliona likes this
- dendropsyche likes this
- reafu likes this
- loveisthenewpunk likes this
- lizpulanco likes this
- felixphoenix likes this
- droidsy likes this
- crystalcurtisart said: I so needed to read this tonight. Thank you~
- crystalcurtisart likes this
- ivanps likes this
- mkarinam likes this
- alicalibabadi likes this
- racconconnoisseur likes this
- americanninjax likes this
- dairykats likes this
- chrisjohnsoninfiction likes this
- careless-seafoam likes this
- digiplease reblogged this from gunkiss
- orangesenpai likes this
- spooky-raikov reblogged this from gunkiss
- spooky-raikov likes this
- geekvariety likes this
- gennalee likes this
- elegant5elizabeth likes this
- thingsthatiwontfinish likes this
- a4tog6 likes this
- adorababies-and-monsters reblogged this from gunkiss
- quartzleo likes this
- kyaramerunuxi said: That’s amazing… I’ve tried myself going as freelancer but I still have tons to learn and need skill so clients will want to work with me. Tho your post is really a boost to do so. Hope everything goes well and even better for you <3
- geezgeorge likes this
- tsujitoons likes this
- kyaramerunuxi likes this